Wednesday 14 November 2012

Bandi Chhor and the rest of the world....


Many people would have gotten the text or message 'Happy Divali' yesterday and thus many people (including politicians, the media, and ourselves) will celebrate or give you good wishes for Divali, the festival of lights and not Bandi Chhor, the day of freedom/liberation.

As a university student there is very little that can be done as university is a massive place and there are so many students, lecturers and staff around - but as a Sikh it was my duty to educate those who were wanted to listen what Bandi Chhor is about and why as a Sikh we celebrate it......

Something small that I did was take in a card and box of chocolates for my lecturers so share. In the card I wrote:

I got a lot of e-mails and lectures coming up to me to say thank you and say that they had never heard of Bandi Chhor before, but they were really impressed with the morals behind the day and loved how the card was written. To me, this was them thanking maharaj - as He is the one who has instilled these morals in us and taught us how to live. 

It was only something small - but for me a great way to share the morals that we live by and share that yesterday wasn't just a festival of lights - but a day to remember these teachings of standing up for those without a voice ...... 

So a benti to all - share the message of Gurbani with the world and show them how compassionate and community based our morals are.

Please forgive me for any mistakes.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!!!

No comments: